Dry eye treatments available
- Meibomian gland expression therapy
- Micro-blepharo Exfoliation (Blephex)
- Punctum plugs
- Intense Regulated Pulsed Light IRPL
If you have been suffering from dry eyes and want to find the most effective treatments for you, consider a tear-film assessment. This consultation takes just under 1 hour and covers all aspects of your tear gland system. Your tears are made of a complex balance of a number of layers, with each being produced from different glands. When the glands are working together, your tear-film is in balance and you will experience less symptoms. When the tear system is unbalanced the result is symptoms due to dryness.
The aim of the tear-film assessment is to look at all aspects of the tear production and drainage system and through this, give you a treatment plan unique to your eyes.
The tear film clinic covers all tear film abnormalities from dry eyes to watery eyes. We take referrals from local GPs. Tear film abnormalities can cause a number of problems from dry eyes (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) to watery eyes (epiphora). The causes are multifactorial.
The following are some factors that can cause or contribute towards dry eyes:
- Dietary deficiency
- Dry/ dusty environments
- Computer use
- Inflammatory conditions eg. Rheumatoid arthritis
- Contact lenses
- Cosmetic laser surgery
The tear film is composed of a balance of 3 layers working together to provide nutrients, lubricate and defend the eyes. A deficiency in any of these layers can lead to a breakdown in the tear film, causing dry eyes or watery eyes.
The quantity and quality of the tears as well as normally functioning accessory glands and ducts and contribute to a good balance and normal function.
Under production or over evaporation of tears, or pathology of any of the accessory glands and ducts will give rise to a tear film abnormality.
If you experience any of the following, you should consider having a dry eye assessment.
- Do you feel your eyes are sandy or gritty?
- Do you have watery eyes?
- Do you rub your eyes?
- Do you have red eyes?
- Do you feel any discomfort when you work with a computer or tablet?
- Do your eyes sting or burn?
- Do your eyes itch?
- Do you experience eye irritation from smoke or wind?
- Do you experience blurring of vision that changes with each blink?
What does a dry eye assessment involve?
- Detailed symptoms and history of your experiences
- Assessment of the tear film
- Assessment of the eye surface
- Assessment of the underside of the eye lids
- Assessment of the glands inside your eye lids
- Assessment of your blink response & rate
- Recommendations for treatment, based on the above information
Please note, dry eye problems develop over a period of time and require time to improve. They may not go completely and treatment involves helping you to manage the symptoms.
Natural Dry Eye Treatments
Treatment can range from drops, massage, scrubs & oral supplements. Can be as simple as changing the way you do things day to day.
Ideally located just off the A4 Great West Road in Brentford, close to the BMI Syon Clinic. IQ Optometry Dry Eye Clinic can be easily reached from Chiswick, Isleworth, Osterley, Heston, Hanwell, South Ealing, Acton, North Sheen, Twickenham, Richmond and many other areas in London. If you have a question about blepharitis, why not WhatsApp on 02084224466?